To understand the situation in Gorkha we asked our team to let us know more about the families we helped with food supplies and below are some background stories of some families identified by the community for humanitarian help. We must stress that normaly the Nepali people look after those around them but now due to the pandemic everyone is struggling.
- Samjhana Oli,a married woman, eloped with another boy carrying her two children, but now her second husband died and she became helpless with 3 children. She has no income to look after her children
- Nanda Kumari Basnet 73 yrs age, sick of respiratory problems, lives alone in a cottage, has nobody to look after her. Her sons and daughters left her making homeless.
- Mithe Sarki, a blind so called dalit old man, has only a brother but he also left him, and he lives alone in a cottage. He has nobody to look after him.
- Dil Maya Kumal, whose husband left the village at 15 and went to India before marriage, returned home after 45 yrs with wife and a daughter, but he died after a few days of his arrival at Gorkha. His parental lands were already legally owned by others. Now the victims are living in a public building by the help of neighbours.
- Dipu Sunar, a critically sick person under medical treatment in hospital, has no money. GODHEDS realized his pains and gave him Rs 6000/- (remaining Rs 3000/- adding by individuals Rs 3000/- more) for the support of his treatment.
- China Pariyar, a young dalit mother of a child, whose husband died unexpectedly, biased by her parents in law, and now living alone with her kid, has nothing to eat and nobody to help.
Thank you to those in Gorkha and in UK for helping so many people through this difficult time.
Again our amazing team in Gorkha have worked wonders. They requested funds to supply food to 62 families in acute poverty due to covid, we provided funds for 82 families but they have in fact managed to distribute food to 125 families and we thank them all for their efforts and humanity. Below is letter received from Gorkha.
Thank you Linda
Dear all GDS-UK team.
Here we have distributed food parcel for 125 families containing the food items of cost NRs 2600/- for each families on Monday. Being other more starved families recommended by Municipal authorities we increased the numbers of striken families with the consultation of mayor. The mayor of Gorkha Municipality and a journalist were with us to cooperate our works the whole day. The mayor thanked GODHEDS and GDS-UK expressing his gratitude to Linda , Gita, Amir and concerned others for the humanitarian services during pandemic period.
Following an online meeting in Gorkha, the committee contacted GDS for support requesting food relief for families. “Till date, we identified 62 families around only Gorkha municipal areas whom we need to support basic food items urgently, and we planned to provide each families at the cost of NRS 4000/- (£27)
Basic items of food for each family: Rice – 1 sack(30 kg) 1760/-, Mustard oil- 2 liter 640/-, Dal – 4 kg 600/-, Chana – 4 kg 600/-, wheat flour – 4 kg 360/-, salt – 1 packet 40/- .TOTAL COST– NRs 4OOO/-
Per family—-NRs 4000/- Then for 62 families NRs 4000 × 62 = NRs 248000/- (£1,500)
Transportation cost not included. It will be managed by GDHEDS. Take care well, be safe. With Regards! From Ram Chandra “.
DONATIONS WELCOME – £27 will support a family for one month. If you would like to donate please make payment to Gorkha Development Scheme – Sort Code 201995 Account Number 10318302 or pay through PayPal
Our committee in Gorkha also decided to provide help to the Gorkha Orphanange in Manabha Sewa Asram which cares for 47 homeless children. This was set up by local people to care for babies abandoned by their mothers who became pregnant outside of marriage as this remains an issue in Nepal and shameful for the family. Other children may have been found living on the street due to poverty or loss of family members and all are given a home.
The committee were able to distribute food items. “We bought 20 more food items including sacks of rice and handed over the materials. These children are still struggling with hunger in the lockdown period”.
We would like to share a letter from Laxman which explains what was bought and shows the excitement and thanks for the small help we have been able to provide in this global crisis.
Dear Linda and GDS
It’s our immense pleasure to inform and thank you a lot for the successful completion of our hospital project so early. We completed everything today!!! Really excited to share the distribution report.
We handed over five Oxygen concentrator machines as below:
- a) 10litr/minute Big one – 2 pieces to Gorkha hospital
- b) 10litr/minute Big one – 1 piece to Isolation centre of Gorkha Municipality
- c) 5litr/minute Small one- 1 piece to Isolation centre of Saheed Laakhan Rural Municipality Bunkot
- d) 5litr/minute Small one- 1 piece to Isolation centre of Bhimsen Thapa Rural Municipality Khanchowk
Similarly, we distributed non breather mask for the patients of Gorkha hospital and oxygen masks 100 pieces to the five concentrators that included Oxymeters.
The Mayor, Medical Superintendent and Doctor thanked GDS and Gdheds Gorkha for the kind contribution and promised to use them from today.
I have sent the photographs of the distribution programme in your vibre hoping that you will share it to the GDS community there.
We wish you all a healthy stay and thank you all for the kind emergency support to Gorkha people.
Thank you all once again.