Whether you are wanting to spend 3 weeks or 3 months in Nepal, and are interested in volunteering, then we would love to hear from you. We will need to know a bit about you – your experiences and skills and what you might be able to offer to the people in Gorkha. After initial contact we will be able to send you lots more information and guidance.
What we do –
- Ask you for your details via a CV and completion of an application form and hold initial discussion/interview with you.
- Assess skills and experience to meet the needs in Gorkha, have discussions with the local Gorkha committee before confirming volunteering opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with safeguarding guidelines
- Contact references
- Offer guidance for planning your volunteering experience when confirmed
- Help make arrangements for your arrival and accommodation in Kathmandu
- Provide guidance on transport
- Provide you with contact details of local people to help throughout your stay in Gorkha– we can also supply a local phone to help with your arrival.
- Through our sister charity in Gorkha (GDHEDS) and Gorkha Women’s Association, we make arrangements for your home stay accommodation with a family in Gorkha.
- The volunteering package to include guidance and advice, planning and arrangements and full board in homestay accommodation will be £150.00 per week. ALL of this money goes directly to Nepal. After homestay payment, the remainder will be treated as donation towards the funding of specific projects. You are encouraged to be involved in the choice of how your donation will be spent.
- Any additional expenditure is at volunteers expense.
- Together with GDHEDS, planning and arrangements for your volunteering experience will be undertaken depending on your skills eg. schools, hospitals, or other opportunities. Usually you will take part in a combination of projects whilst in Gorkha.
- Provide additional guidance throughout your time in Gorkha and after the trip too.
What we ask from you –
- Commit to at least 4 weeks volunteering in Gorkha, Nepal (3 weeks may be considered).
- Communicate with us regarding your proposed plans and meet with us if possible- or join us for several online conversations
- Provide CV and complete an application form to start the process
- Apply for DBS check (free for volunteers, we will provide links for this online process)
- Arrange your own flights, travel and health insurance and vaccinations
- Forward funds to GDS, as appropriate, for your trip prior to your departure. As noted above, this payment will be used in total for accommodation and projects in Gorkha. If you are a UK taxpayer then payment ought to be made through gift aid as this will ensure 25p extra can be claimed for each £1.00 paid in.
- We would also hope that you would consider fundraising to enhance a project of your choice, either prior to your departure or upon your return. Again, it would be best for all money to be transferred with your gift aid details as this will help even more.
- Contact us now to get the process started- we look forward to hearing from you!
How we manage the process of volunteering
- Volunteer contacts GDS -followed by reply from Linda and Zoe asking for details and CV
- If the volunteer and GDS are happy to continue, an application form will be emailed to the volunteer
- Online call with Linda and Zoe
- If happy to progress on all sides, then areas of work are identified and GDS contact Gorkha for their agreement.
- Detailed guidance document provided and fundraising is discussed with the volunteer
- DBS check requested and references contacted
- Confirmation to volunteer (subject to checks)
- Payment requested at least one month before departure
- When all agreed then final guidance/online call prior to travel
- Communication throughout volunteering experience
- Follow up communication upon return
- Volunteer report to be presented upon return