The Three Villages Gardening Club near Colchester, Essex, asked both Darren and Linda Blunt to do talks at their monthly meeting.
First Darren gave a talk on Trees and Arboriculture work in the garden in September, then Linda gave a slide show on exotic plants from around the world that we might be familiar with to include garden plants, fruit spices, fibres etc. with both speakers donating fees to GDS. A light hearted quiz added to the evening and plant and chutney sales added to the fundraising. The club also very kindly donated the money raised form a raffle ( a signed book by previous speaker Bob Flowerdue) to the charity.
In all the talks have raised £233.00 which is a fantastic and is much appreciated. If you are in the Essex region and would like to book either speaker on a range of horticultural topics with fees being donated to the charity, then please go through contact us or phone 01245 259906.
Linda Blunt has presented talks to various groups but mostly horticulture and gardening clubs throughout Essex. All of the money raised by these talks over a number of years, has been donated to the Nepali charity to raise money for the sponsorship of children in school.
Topics for talks have included:
• Plants and People of Nepal.
• The jungle in your home and garden
• Propagation – demonstrations on seasonal propagation including cuttings and rose budding and the science within propagation.
If you are interested in hosting a presentation then please contact us and Linda will be in touch with you.
Darren Blunt has also presented talks to various groups on Arboriculture and trees and has also kindly donated the money raised to the charity amounting to several hundred pounds.
Some of the previous talks and funds raised are listed below
- Nov 2010 Stanstead Mountfitchett Science in Propagation £82.50
- Jan 2010 Chignall Propagation £120.00
- 11 Jun 09 Boreham Propagation £130 00
- 1 May 09 Chelmsford Propagation £117.00
- 11March Chignal Propagation £100.00
- 20 Feb Chelmsford Cardiac group Nepal £160.00
- 11 Nov 08 Mersea Nepal £127.00
- 6 Oct Arlsford Nepal/Jungle £140.00
- 19th May Billericay Nepal £117.00
- 12 May 08 Witham Nepal £143.00
- 7 May 08 Stanstead Mountfitchett Propagation £90.00
- 13 Feb 08 Copford Jungle £70.00
- 16 Jan 08 Chignal Jungle 88.00
- 7 Dec 07 Chelmsford Jungle 132.50
- 7 Nov 07 Little Waltham Jungle 91.50
- 11 Jun 07 Runwell propagation 110.00
- 27 Feb 07 Silver End Jungle 100.00
- 1 Feb 07 Tiptree Jungle 50.00
- 14 Mar 06 Braintree Organic Jungle 40.00
- 9 Mar 06 Boreham Jungle 40.00
- 21 Nov 05 Tollesbury Nepal 40.00
- 16 Jan Tollesbury Jungle 100.00
- 7 July 05 Tiptree Jungle 40.00
- 8 Jul y 02 Braintree Organic Budding 40.00
- 24 Jun 02 Bishops Stortford 3rd age Nepal 60.00
- 17 Jun 02 Maldon&Heybridge Nepal 30.00
- 12 Feb 02 Little Waltham Nepal 20.00
- 26 Mar 01 Bishops Stortford 3rd age Jungle 60.00
- 15 May 00 Ramsdon Bellhouse Billericay Plant Origin 30.00
- 20 July 00 Wickham Market Nepal 50.00
- 11 Nov 99 Coggeshall Nepal 25.00
Ruth’s Close Shave
Ruth Woodhouse told us about her fundraising effort before her Voluntyeering trip to Gorkha.
During a geology field trip to Scotland at Easter I had foolishly let fellow rock enthusiasts shave my head in a public demonstration of the versatility of the Bic razor. The smooth baldness, and, in the April climate of western Scotland, chilliness of my head, raised over £200 for the school.
Writtle College Students Plant Sale and Fundraising.
In the summer of 2010 a group of students studying BSc Horticulture at Writtle College, Essex helped raise money for the sponsorship of children in Gorkha through growing and selling plants. As part of their studies with Linda Blunt (GDS Trustee) as tutor, the group had to propagate and look after a range of plants so that they could be ready for planting into containers for great summer colour in the garden.
The students then held a plant sale where the plants and containers were sold to staff and other students at the college. It was a great success with much of the money being donated to charity. A local charity in Chelmsford supporting young people with cancer received £600 and a further £600 was donated to GDHEDS charity for the school sponsorship programme.
Many thanks to everyone involved for their great efforts,